Thursday, February 5, 2009

Little red wagon...

I have a desk job for the first time in my life, and this lends itself to much idle time throughout the day. To my left and behind me I have two very large picture windows which overlook a construction site in which they are building an addition onto a Kroger supermarket. Over the course of the day dozens of trucks and workers buzz around the site, building, moving large object and machines and generally making all sorts of racket as they shuffle back and forth in front of my window.

This morning out of the corner of my eye I caught the most spectacular sight. Much to my amazement I saw a rather large man adorned in full winter construction regalia perched atop a mini-track hoe. For those of you that do not know what that is, it is a miniature version of its counterpart the full sized track-hoe which is quite a marvelous piece of machinery. However, the miniature version is a rather pathetic display of metal and looks more like a tonka toy on steroids than a useful piece of equipment. Any man looks rather silly sitting on one but add an extra 200-300 pounds into the equation and you have a real show on your hands...but my friends this was not the best part. This gentleman had the tiny machine wound out at full throttle which left him running at a speed of about 4-5 miles per hour as his chariot screamed in pain beneath him. Much to my amazement he had a small red wagon in tow, and not any red wagon, a radio flyer! This was not a construction cart or work type wagon with the inflatable wheels...this was a real live Radio Flyer and it was connected to the device with a bungee chord. The little red wagon was oozing with plumbing fittings and elbows and some were being left behind as he clamored along hitting bumps and potholes in the road which resulted in the wagon slamming into the back of the machine.

And then it dawned on me that this same mobile circus would have to maneuver down a rather steep hill at the end of the road to my left. I thought for sure that he would somehow avoid this hill and stop at the top of it, but no! On he forged and as he started down the hill so did his little red wagon and as it slammed for the final time into the back of his speed racer it flipped over spilling it's contents onto the icy ground below. Mr. Construction worker then dismounted and began to pick up the spilled contents of his wagon but slipped on the ice and down he went...arse over tea kettle. I thought about going outside and offering my services but I stoped myself at my cozy office door because if I was in his position I would want to keep what had happened all to myself. I continued to watch him pick up all the wagons contents and walk slowly down to the bottom of the hill with his radio flyer in tow...Success! The parts had been delivered to the site without any witnesses...

I went out to the main desk to tell the guys at the shop what had happened but soon realized that the laugh train had passed their windows, and had been witnessed by them as well. Raucous laughter commenced! So thank you Mr. Construction worker for giving me a grin at your expense and next time...use a truck!

Grinwell...grin often.

3 comments:

  1. See now, you're giving us a challenge if you're planning to write stuff like this and only want us to grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh blowse..this blogging business is fishy..it takes up more of my boring day..merrrrr. j/k your blog was cute today. i have yet discovered another one of your talents..writing humorous stories:) you never cease to amaze me. wuv u. - lore xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean...